When there are problems in a marriage, children are usually well aware of the less-than friendly atmosphere. The fact that you and your spouse are contemplating divorce typically is not a secret. Because children are keenly aware of what goes on around them, parents should make an effort to sit down with their children and have an age-appropriate conversation.
- Now this does not mean that parents should discuss any details or differences they may have that are causing the separation.
- Rather, the conversation should focus on the love each parent has for the child and will continue to have whether they are living together or separate.
- It is key to reassure the children that the divorce has absolutely nothing to do with them and that they are loved.
- It is important to listen to their concerns and reassure them that you and your spouse will do your very best to make this difficult situation go smoothly.
- It is also important that you refrain from speaking negatively about your spouse in front of your children. It may be a good idea to speak to your child’s guidance counselor at school other trained professional if believed necessary.
If you are seeking a divorce you should obtain the services of a well-established Monroe NC divorce lawyer from Plyler, Long & Corigliano, LLP to look out for your best interests. Serving citizens of Union County for over 30 years, their divorce lawyer in Monroe NC will take the time to understand you during this emotionally challenging experience and efficiently respond to your needs and desires.